Frequently Asked Questions

































Acting Supervisor: Gerald Koski



REFUSE DROP OFF & COMPOST SITE:  Great American Disposal (GAD) provides a refuse drop off site for City of Negaunee residential garbage customers to dispose of spring clean up items.  This service is provided on the second Thursday of each month from 12:00pm to 6:00pm and also the last Saturday of the month from 8 am to noon.  The regular drop off site is located at the end of Lincoln Street.

Photo identification and a current Negaunee utility bill showing the garbage collection fees will be required to dispose of materials at this site.  Quantities are limited to one pick-up load per month, with a maximum of four loads per household per calendar year.

Compost Site

The City of Negaunee's compost site (located on County Road 480 across from the Wastewater Treatment Plant) is open daily. Scheduled hours are from dawn to dusk. Please note the site may be inaccessible during inclement weather.


The compost site will accept grass clippings, sod, garden debris, and brush and tree limbs up to 6 inches in diameter. Please empty any bags and place them in the trash cans provided.

Dumping of compost materials by the entrance gate is prohibited.  Individuals caught dumping in this area will be fined.


SNOW REMOVAL: For information on snow removal, please refer to the City Ordinance pertaining to this subject.  You may also find information in the Michigan Vehicle Code about snow removal/placement.  If you still have questions contact the DPW Supervisor at 475-9991.




Fire Chief: Ned Cory


DEPARTMENT ORIGINS: The Negaunee Fire Department is a volunteer department that was started in 1868.

STAFF INFORMATION: The Negaunee Fire Department is fully manned by volunteers; however, the station is not staffed continually. There is a machine to leave a message if you happen to call when no one is in the building.

DEPARTMENT HOURS: The Fire Department is open from 6:30pm to 9:30pm on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Mondays of each month.  You can stop in to get a permit at those times.  If you are not available at those times, please call the department at 475-9811 and leave a message.  A fire officer will get back to you and set up a time and date to obtain a permit.

BURN PERMITS: You must obtain a recreational burn permit to operate an outdoor fireplace or have a campfire.  These permits are issued where it is safe and have various restrictions.


BUILDING MATERIALS:  State law restricts the burning of building materials, grass and leaves.

BECOMING A FIREFIGHTER: If you wish to become a volunteer firefighter for the City of Negaunee, you may print an application HERE.  Complete the application and drop off at City Hall or send by mail to:

City of Negaunee

PO Box 70

Negaunee, MI  49866





Brian Downing

475-7700 EXT 16


Brian Downing

475-7700 EXT 17

WHAT YOU NEED: You will need the following information to expedite your credit card transaction:

  • Your utility account number (on your billing statement). This number will include all of the digits without the dash (-).
  • The balance owed on your bill
  • Your credit or debit card or check account information

PAYMENT CONFIRMATION: All online/telephone payments will be made known to the City of Negaunee instantaneously.  If you wish, you may converse with customer service staff immediately after making payment.  Call 1-877-318-5779 to do so.

WHY IS THERE A CONVENIENCE FEE AND HOW MUCH IS IT?: There are several low or no-cost means to pay your bill at the City of Negaunee.  These include pre-authorized payment (ACH), writing a check, placing a payment in our drop box, or making payment at any of the following financial institutions: mBank or Range Bank.  Even so, many customers prefer to pay by credit card. Credit cards companies charge businesses such as Paymentus Corporation a percentage of the payment for processing it.  Therefore, to be fair to all customers, we have to ensure that the users of the credit card service pay for that service.

Utility Bills

The convenience fee is $5.95 for each transaction per $400.00.  Customers may make payments for amounts up to $400.00 in a single transaction; however, for payment amounts larger than $400.00, you will be required to make additional transactions for the remaining amount above $400.00 (also in $400.00 increments if applicable). A $5.95 fee will be applied to each additional transaction.

Tax Payments

The convenience fee for tax bill payments is calculated at 2.75% of the bill amount being paid.

GARBAGE COLLECTIONFor concerns about garbage collection within the City of Negaunee please call 1-800-774-9006.  If you have a billing question, call the Utility Billing Office at 475-7400 Ext 17.

Note: Garbage will be picked up on holidays

MY QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED: If you have any other questions, please give the City Treasurer's Office a call at 475-7700 Extension 16.





Judy Iwanski

475-7700 EXT 15


The general election will be 11/08/2016. Last day to register to vote is October 11, 2016. Polls are open 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.


Absentee ballots are available for all elections.  They provide voters with a convenient method for casting a ballot when they are unable to attend the polls on Election Day.

Requirements for Absentee Voting

As a registered voter, you may obtain an absentee ballot if you are:

  • Age 60 years old or older
  • Unable to vote without assistance at the polls
  • Expecting to be out of town on election day
  • In jail awaiting arraignment or trial
  • Unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
  • Appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.

Applications for absentee ballots are available at City Hall from 10am to 4pm, Monday through Friday.

Please keep in mind you may pick up an application for someone else; however, you may NOT pick up a ballot for someone else, including family members.  Absentee ballots can only be given or mailed to the registered voter on the application.


To vote for a candidate whose name is not printed on the ballot, write or place the name of that candidate in the blank space provided and completely darken the corresponding oval.

If you choose to cast a vote for a write-in candidate, be sure to follow these rules to ensure your vote is valid:

  • Clearly print the name of the candidate you wish to vote for.
  • Completely darken the oval next to the name of the candidate whose name you printed.  Just writing the name is not enough.
  • Do not use the write-in method for a candidate whose name is already pre-printed on the ballot.


This ballot is not an official ballot and is posted here solely for the purpose of familiarizing citizens with the voting process.  An official ballot for upcoming elections will be available for viewing at City Hall prior to those elections.




Jay Frusti

475-4154 EXT 20


HOME ENTRY/OWNER LOCKED OUT:  Officers may or may not attempt to gain entry into a home depending on the circumstances of the situation.  Please understand officers are not responsible for any damages occurring and we recommend you keep a spare key in a safe, secure place.



HOME & PROPERTY CHECKS :  Planning a trip?  If you live in the city limits of Negaunee and wish to have officers make periodic checks of your home while you are out of town, you may request a Home & Property Check.  There is no cost for this service.  You can make your request in either of two ways:

  • You may contact the police department directly.  Make your request in person or call us at 475-4154 during regular business hours (Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm).




RESTRAINING ORDERS (Personal Protection Orders):  Personal protection orders are handled by the Marquette County Clerk.  If you are in need of such an order, call 225-8330 for more information.




COPIES OF REPORTS/FOIA:  There is a $10.00 fee for copies of traffic crash reports and similar reports requested by insurance companies.  These can be picked up at the police department usually 1-2 business days after the incident occurs or mailed to your insurance company once payment has been received.  If you are looking for a narrative-only incident report (non-traffic crash), you can get a copy for $5.00 at the station during regular business hours. If you want reports along with any other related documents or photos that may exist, you will need to complete a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request which can be picked up at the police department or downloaded/printed.  Once received your request will take 1-5 business days for processing and review.  **Note** It is our policy to temporarily deny the release of any incident still under investigation or pending review by the Marquette County Prosecutor's Office.  In the event the report you are requesting falls under either condition, you will be notified of an approximate date of availability or alternate method of obtaining said report.



JUVENILE CURFEW: Per State of Michigan law, juveniles under the age of 12 years are not to be on any public street, alley or park without adult supervision between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am.  Juveniles under the age of 16 years are not to be on any public street, alley or park without adult supervision between 12:00am and 6:00am.  Juveniles found in violation of curfew will be taken to the police department and their parents notified to pick them up.  Repeated violations may result in juveniles being petitioned into Probate Court.  Additionally, because allowing their children to violate curfew is a Misdemeanor, parents may be cited.



MINOR IN POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL (MIP Law): On 04/12/2004 the Governor signed into law Public Act No. 63 which gave Michigan one of the strongest minor in possession laws in the country.

Important points include:



•  The definition of being “in possession of alcohol” now explicitly includes blood alcohol content (BAC). The new law prohibits “any bodily alcohol content.” **

•  Judges have discretion to use jail time when a youth has a prior MIP conviction AND fails to complete any treatment, screening, or community service activities ordered by the court, or fails to pay any fine.

•  First-time offenders receive the break of not having a Misdemeanor record if he/she completes probation requirements.

•  This law sets up a system to track first-time offenders of the Michigan MIP law and comparable local ordinances.

•  A provision is included to allow 19- and 20-year olds who consumed alcohol legally in Canada or Wisconsin to offer that as an affirmative defense in a criminal prosecution for the charge of MIP; however, this does not affect the Zero Tolerance section for the Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) law.


** Exceptions to this would be 1) the consumption of sacramental wine in connection with religious services at a church, synagogue or temple, and 2) a minor enrolled in a course at an accredited post-secondary institution under faculty supervision solely for educational purposes and as a requirement of the course.



CRIMINAL COMPLAINTS V. CIVIL MATTERS: A criminal matter involves the violation of a criminal law or ordinance and is handled by a police agency.   For example, your car being taken by someone without your permission/knowledge would be a criminal complaint.

A civil matter can be described as a contractual disagreement (verbal or written) between two parties.  For example, if you sell a vehicle to someone and sign off on the title, but they do not pay the amount agreed upon after taking delivery of the vehicle, it is a civil matter as an agreement was made between two parties.  Landlord/tenant disputes are usually civil matters as well as they involve lease violations.

For the most part civil matters are handled through the courts; however, on occasion the police may be of assistance.   If you are unsure about your complaint being criminal or civil, or are looking for direction in handling a civil matter, call the department and an officer will assist you.



CIVIL PAPER/SUBPOENA SERVICE:  Service of civil papers and subpoenas in Marquette County is handled by the Marquette County Sheriff's Department.  If you have paperwork in need of service, call 225-8435 for assistance.



OPEN BURNING:  Open burning is prohibited in the City unless you have obtained a permit from the Negaunee Fire Department.  If you are in need of such a permit, contact Fire Chief Ned Cory at 475-9811 (leave a message including your name, address, telephone number and reason for calling). Go to the City Treasurer's Office to pick up a guideline sheet containing instructions on how to apply for a permit to burn within the city limits, or you may view/download the guidelines here.



GAS-POWERED MOTORS ON TEAL LAKE:  Per city ordinance, gas-powered motors are prohibited on Teal Lake regardless of whether they are being operated or are simply attached to a boat (not in use).  You must detach any gas-powered motor from your watercraft before launching onto Teal Lake.  Questions concerning this ordinance should be directed to the Chief of Police at (906)475-4154.




BEACH USE RULES:  Effective 06/01/2004 there is a Beach/Park Use Policy which applies to the use of the Teal Lake beach and park area.  The rules apply to both the designated swimming area (beach) and non-designated swimming area of the park unless otherwise stated.

Beach/Park Use Policy




WINTER ROAD CONDITIONS:  To check on the condition of roads for traveling during the winter season, you can call the MSP Winter Travel Hotline at 800-381-8477 or get the AAA Snow Report at 800-644-7669.

WINTER PARKING:  The annual parking ban begins November 1st and runs through April 30th of each winter season.  For more detailed information about the parking restrictions during this time period, go to Winter Parking Ban.

City Ordinance 692.03l allows for parking on the City rights-of-way during the months of November, December, January, February, March and April; however, you do so at your own risk and you may not cause any issue for plow drivers and/or the safety of the community. Read the ordinance by clicking the link above.



OPERATION OF SNOWMOBILES: You may operate a snowmobile at a maximum speed of 10mph on the rightmost shoulder of City streets, with the exception of:  IRON STREET & US HIGHWAY 41.






ATV OPERATION WITHIN THE CITY: An ATV is defined as: Any 3- or 4-wheeled vehicle designed for off-road use that has low pressure tires, a seat designed to be straddled by the rider and is powered by a 50cc to 500cc gas engine.

ATV Use Brochure

ATV Ordinance

As of 10/10/2005 a city ordinance took effect regarding the use of ATVs within the City of Negaunee.  The main points of the ordinance are:

  • Operation allowed on all city roadways and alleys that have not been specifically prohibited (see map) for the purpose of accessing ATV trails.
  • Age-specific requirements:
    • Persons under age 12 are not allowed to operate ATVs on city roadways or alleys
    • Riders ages 12-15 must have direct adult supervision and be in possession of a valid ATV/ORV safety certificate (contact the Marquette County Sheriff Department for safety class information)
  • Hours of operation: 8am to 8pm EST
  • Speed is not to exceed 5mph and ATVs are to travel single file with the flow of traffic.
  • All State regulations apply (i.e. helmet required, no double riding, etc) and each violation of this ordinance are punishable by fines up to $100 plus the cost of prosecution.


  • Iron Street
  • US-41
  • BR-28
  • City-owned parks & natural areas
  • Cemeteries
  • Any highway area normally occupied by a ditch, front/back slope or utility



PERMITS TO PURCHASE HANDGUNS: If you are at least 18 years of age and live within the City of Negaunee you would obtain a permit through our department.  For further information see the Firearms Info section.



CONCEALED WEAPONS & PERMITS:  Applications for concealed weapon permits can be obtained at this department; however, all questions should be directed to the Marquette County Sheriff's Department as they handle the entire process and have the most up-to-date information.



DEPARTMENT AVAILABILITY:  The Negaunee Police Department is available for serving the community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  If at any time of the day or night you need police assistance you can dial 911 and a dispatcher will send an officer to you.  To contact the office during regular business hours call 475-4154.

You can also come down to the department at any time.  If the door is secured upon your arrival, simply open the yellow call-box outside the station door and lift the handset.  You will connect with a dispatcher who can send an officer to meet with you at the department.  This call-box is for use in any situation - not just emergencies.  Feel free to utilize this service in order to speak with an officer in person outside of regular business hours.



FINGERPRINTING:  The Negaunee Police Department can roll ink fingerprints for anyone in need of them for licensing or employment purposes.  The cost is $20.00 per card.  We do have a small supply of cards on hand if you were not provided with them by your employer; however, we cannot guarantee card availability.

We do NOT use LiveScan - we deal with ink prints only

For LiveScan digital fingerprinting, contact the Marquette City Police Dept at 228-0400 or make an appointment with L-1 Identity Solutions.




EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES:  Applications and resumés from persons seeking employment with the Negaunee Police Department are always accepted:

  • Applications can be printed from this site: EMPLOYMENT APP
  • Marquette County residents may pick up an application from City Hall during regular business hours (10am to 4pm, Mon thru Fri)
  • Out-of-county residents may request an application via telephone (906)475-4154 or email if you are not able to print the document using the link above.  Please be sure to provide your full name and address in your correspondence.

Completed applications & resumés should be brought to the police department or mailed to:


Negaunee Police Department

ATTN: Chief Jay Frusti

319 W Case Street, PO Box 70

Negaunee MI 49866




TELEPHONE SOLICITATION: The Negaunee Police Department DOES NOT SOLICIT DONATIONS.  If you receive calls from any organization asking for donations do NOT give credit card numbers, checking account numbers or any other such information.  If you are unsure of the call's legitimacy, ask for the caller's name and then contact the organization they claim to represent directly.  You can apply this knowledge to Internet emails and sites as well - do not provide financial information to online solicitors.

Scams reported in the area include, but are not limited to:

The One Ring Scam: The Better Business Bureau recently issued an alert on �The One Ring Scam�, a type of phone cramming. How it works:


  • Your cell phone rings once or twice, just enough to show up as a missed call from an unknown or international area code.
  • No voicemail will be left and if you try to call it back, either no one will answer or you will only hear a weird noise on the other end.
  • Victims are later billed for the incoming international call if they answer and the premium service charge. In some cases, crammers may try to avoid detection by only adding a small charge.


If you think you've fallen for the scam, immediately notify your cell phone provider and keep an eye on your phone bill.


Similar to email, if you do not recognize the source, just ignore it. Visit the Better Business Bureau Alert Page for more information.


Re-Shipping Scam: The re-shipping scam begins with Internet users being befriended by someone needing assistance with shipping a package. The scammer will send a package, usually containing electronics such as cell phones and other trendy devices, to the victim's address with forwarding information. An incident occurring locally involved a package containing electronic items being re-shipped to an address in Africa. The items inside the package were purchased using stolen credit card numbers and the victim's identity.

Be cautious when receiving or responding to requests from people you don't know personally. If you receive a package that you did not order, return it to the delivery service from which it came. And, don't give out personal information over the Internet, especially when it is being solicited by an unknown party.

If you believe you have been victimized by a scam, contact your local law enforcement agency.

Publisher's Clearing House Scam: Victims are contacted by someone claiming to be from Publisher's Clearing House asking for money to be sent in order to claim a prize. Do not send any money or give out any personal information in response. When you actually win a prize, you do not have to pay for it.

Asset Liquidation Scam: A certified letter is sent from Central Office of Asset Liquidation asking you to send money to secure a "guaranted cash prize" that has gone unclaimed.  Do not send any money or any personal information in response.  The fact that you have to sign for a certified letter lends an air of validity, but this is a scam.  VIEW AN EXAMPLE


UBI Scam: With this potential scam, a notice is received in the mail (from Singapore) indicating the recipient will receive $5,000 for signing a release and "fulfilling contest requirements."  A return envelope is provided which will send the release form to an address in Australia.  Do not sign any type of release and do not send your information to any unknown destination - particularly when that destination is a foreign country. VIEW THE NOTICE


Jewelry/Merchandise Claim Scam: Area residents have received a notice in the mail stating they can pay a marginal fee (using a credit card) for shipping and/or processing.  Do not answer these mailings and do not give any credit card information or bank account information.

Shopko Credit Card Scam: Someone calls to let you know your Shopko credit card has an unusually high balance and tells you they are calling to help take care of the matter.  Reports received at this office indicate the callers do not identify themselves and generally hang up when pressed about who they are or where they are calling from.  Do not give out any information over the telephone. If you have concerns about any type of credit account you may have with Shopko, we recommend you go to Shopko in person to inquire about your account status.

Jury Duty Scam: Someone calls identifying themselves as a jury duty coordinator.  They inform you that you have missed an appointment and there is now a warrant for your arrest for not appearing for duty.  When you protest saying you never received a summons, they ask for your social security number and other information on the pretense of canceling the warrant.  This is not how the jury duty system works in Marquette County.  Never give your social security number out over the phone regardless of who the caller says they are. If you have questions about jury duty and your responsibilities, you can call the Marquette County Clerk's Office.



Internal Revenue Service - We have had two different types of scams involving the IRS reported in our area.


  •  Refund to your credit card:  The IRS will never solicit your information online and has no need to ask for your credit card number(s).
  •  Email about refund eligibility: The IRS will never contact you through email about refunds or to collect information from you. Do not click on any links inside these types of emails as they make your computer vulnerable to "phishing", which is an illegal and fraudulent attempt to acquire sensitive information such as passwords, credit card info or account numbers.
"Customer Service Evaluator" jobs in the newspaper: In this instance, companies advertising customer service jobs ask you to cash a large check and then send money to them as a "test" of a new moneygram system.  Usually you are asked to send the money to a location outside of the United States.  Although it might be tempting to cash the check, do not do so as this is a scam for which you could be left responsible for thousands of dollars when the check does not clear.  Several of these companies list Wal-Mart as the place to send the money gram from, although Western Union and others have also been suggested.

Receiving a check in the mail for no known reason: This scam works similarly to the Customer Service Evalutor job scam in that you receive a check in the mail to be cashed. You are promised a portion of the money for your services and asked to forward a portion to someone you do not know.  DO NOT CASH ANY CHECK IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE SENDER OR THE REASON FOR THE CHECK BEING ISSUED TO YOU.  If you have any questions or concerns whatsoever over a check received in the mail - DO NOT CASH IT.  "Free money" isn't free when you get held responsible for the full amount of the check after it fails to clear the banking system.


Social Security Benefit Inquiries: Callers are asking citizens for banking information as it pertains to Social Security benefits.  Never give out bank account information or your social security number, even if the caller says they need to "verify" information they claim to already have.

Diabetes Associations: Callers are contacting citizens on behalf of the "Diabetic Club".   They ask if you are diabetic, offer a free test meter and then attempt to get insurance and/or medicare card information.  Never give out information of this kind, even if the caller says they need to "verify" information they claim to already have.
WalMart Gift Certificates: A text message is sent to your cell phone offering a $1000 WalMart gift certificate. This has been confirmed by WalMart as a scam. Do not respond - do not give out any information.

If you encounter what you believe is a scam, you may alert the police to it by calling 475-4154.


IDENTITY THEFT: Be proactive when it comes to identity theft and check your credit report for any suspicious activity or notations.  The following companies can assist you with credit checks and fraud alerts:


To order your report, call: 800-685-1111 or write: P.O. Box 740241 , Atlanta , GA 30374-0241

For Fraud Alerts: call: 800-525-6285 or write:
P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Hearing impaired call 1-800-255-0056 and ask the operator to call the Auto Disclosure Line at 1-800-685-1111 to request a copy of your report.



To order your report, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) or write: P.O. Box 2002 , Allen TX 75013

For Fraud Alerts, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) or write: P.O. Box 9530 , Allen TX 75013

TDD: 1-800-972-0322



To order your report, call: 800- 888 - 4213 or write:
P.O. Box 1000 , Chester , PA 19022


For Fraud Alerts, call: 800-680-7289 and write:
Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790 , Fullerton , CA 92634


TDD: 1-877-553-7803


The State of Michigan has a resource page for multiple security issues involving the Internet, including identity theft, email hacks, credit card security and hardware/software issues. For more information, visit the Michigan CyberSecurity website.

For information on laws (both State and Federal) about illegal Internet activity, visit the Michigan Cyber Initiative website page for Cybersecurity Laws.

You may also contact our department to speak with an officer if you believe you are the victim of identity theft.




PAYING FINES & TICKETS:  If you receive a parking ticket you may remit payment in several ways:

  • Mail payment using the brightly colored payment envelope left on your vehicle (do not mail cash).
  • Place payment in the brightly colored payment envelope and drop it in the Utility Payment box located near the front entrance of the Negaunee City Library to save yourself the cost of postage.
  • Come to the Negaunee Police Department in person.







TOUR THE DEPARTMENT:  If you would like to take a tour of the police department, or perhaps bring a special group for a tour, please contact Chief Jay Frusti at (906)475-4154 or email your request to make arrangements.



ABANDONED/JUNK VEHICLES:  Inoperable or junk vehicles are prohibited by City Ordinance.  Call 475-4154 or submit an anonymous tip to report any such vehicles you become aware of in your neighborhood and an officer will be dispatched to assess the situation.  **Note: Your name will not be given to the vehicle owner.

Abandoned vehicles may be handled in several ways. If the vehicle you believe is abandoned is parked roadside or on City property, give us a call at 475-4154 and an officer will investigate. However, if you are a tow operator, a repair facility/mechanic, or a private property owner with an unwanted vehicle on your property, you will need to do things a little bit differently.


Tow Operators:

If you are a tow operator and a vehicle which was towed from inside the city limits has not been claimed by its owner, you will need to complete an Abandoned Vehicle form and bring it to the Negaunee Police Department to being the process.  For vehicles towed from outside of the city limits, contact the police agency in that jurisdiction for their procedure on handling abandoned vehicles.

Repair Facility/Mechanics:

If you are a repair facility or mechanic with an unclaimed vehicle on which you worked, you will need to apply for a Garage Keeper Lien. The garage keeper must be in possession of the vehicle and may not detain the vehicle for more than 225 days after performing the last labor or furnishing the last supplies for which a lien is claimed against the vehicle. A garage keeper will not be able to sell the vehicle under the garage keeper's lien act if the sale is not within the 225-day limit. Therefore, carefully follow the procedures laid out by the Michigan Secretary of State to avoid unnecessary delays.

If you have exceeded the 225-day limit, you will need to file a petition with the 96th District Court requesting ownership of the vehicle be granted to you. Call 225-8235 for information on how to proceed.

Private Property/Apartment Complexes:

If you are a private property owner (single- or dual-family residences) and an abandoned vehicle is on your property, you must call a tow operator to have the vehicle removed. The Negaunee Police Department will not request the removal of vehicles from private property.

If you are an apartment complex owner, you must post warning signs that unauthorized vehicles will be towed. The notice must include the name and phone number of the towing agency that will remove the vehicles and be in letters at least 2 inches high on a contrasting background. Notices must be permanently installed with the bottom of the notice at least four feet from the ground and prominently displayed at each point of entry for vehicles. If the property does not have curbs or access barriers, there must be at least one notice for every 100 feet of road frontage. The notice must be in place at least 24 hours before vehicles can be towed from the property.

Local Tow Operators

Antilla's Towing 475-6595

Formula One Towing 228-3444

Ideal Auto 475-9989

Juntti's 486-9471

Marquette Detailing 1-888-249-0628

Mr. Wrecker 228-7070

UP Off Road Performance 475-7166



NOXIOUS WEEDS, JUNK, RUBBISH AND/OR MISCELLANEOUS DEBRIS IN YARDS:  The presence of noxious weeds, junk, rubbish and debris is prohibited by city ordinance.  Call 475-4154 or submit an anonymous tip to report any violations of city ordinance and an officer will be dispatched to assess the situation.  **Note: Your name will not be given to the property owner.



UNSAFE STRUCTURES:  If you are aware of an unsafe structure in the City of Negaunee, call 475-4154 to have an officer dispatched to assess the situation.  **Note: Your name will not be given to the property owner.



COMPLAINTS AGAINST CITY EMPLOYEES:  Complaint forms for making a non-criminal complaint against any City employee can be obtained at the Police Department.  If the employee in question is a Negaunee police officer you may also talk to the Chief of Police if you wish.  Completed forms should be turned in to the City Manager's office or Police Department.

Criminal complaints should be reported to a police agency in the appropriate jurisdiction (where the incident occurred).




WARRANT INQUIRIES: A periodically updated list of all active warrants currently held by the Negaunee Police Department can be viewed online. If there is a warrant authorized for your arrest and you wish to take care of the matter, you may go to any police department to do so.  Please bring photo identification to ensure the process can be more efficiently completed.




CRIMINAL HISTORY/BACKGROUND CHECKS:  If you wish to have your criminal history checked, call the Michigan State Police Post at 475-9922 for further information.  You will need to appear in person to make the actual request and provide identification.




SEAT BELT USAGE- State of Michigan:  Here are some things to keep in mind while traveling in the State of Michigan:

  • Police can stop your vehicle if you or your front seat passenger(s) are not wearing seat belts.
  • Police can stop your vehicle if a child under age 4 is not in a car seat or if children age 4 through 15 are not wearing seat belts no matter where they are riding in the vehicle.
  • The driver is responsible and can be ticketed for seat belt violations by those age 15 and under.  Tickets for seat belt violations by subjects 16 years of age and older will be issued to the violator.

The following pertains to children under 4 years of age:

  • All children under 4 years of age must be properly restrained in a car seat when traveling in a motor vehicle, regardless of riding in the front or back seat.
  • Infants under 1 year of age should 1) face the rear, 2) be semi-reclined and 3) be snugly fastened in a car seat.
  • Toddlers between 20 and 40 pounds should 1) face the front, 2) sit upright and 3) be snugly fastened in a car seat.

Effective 07/01/2008 Michigan's Booster Seat Law will be enforced.  This means all children must be in a booster seat used in conjunction with a lap/shoulder safety belt until they are 8 years old OR at least 4'9" tall - whichever comes first.  If your child does not meet either the age requirement or the height requirement, your child is required by law to be in a booster seat with the lap/shoulder belt in place:





BICYCLE REGISTRATION: Residents of Negaunee can get bicycles registered free of charge.  You may bring your bicycle to the police department and complete a registration form, or download/print the registration form  and bring it to the department once it is completed.




BIKE SAFETY & HAND SIGNALS: Bicycles must observe the same rules of the road as vehicles.  This means pay attention for stop signs, traffic lights and be aware of other traffic around you.  Use hand signals to communicate your intentions:

  • Stopping/Slowing: Extend left arm out parallel with the road with your hand/forearm pointing down (perpendicular with the pavement).
  • Turning Right: Extend left arm out parallel with the road with your hand/forearm raise up (perpendicular with the pavement).
  • Turning Left: Extend your left arm straight out parallel with the road.




Push the button to activate the crossing sequence. The crosswalk signals work by sensors in the road. When they detect cross traffic on Croix, Baldwin, or Maas Street, they activate the signal change with a predetermined setting. Once cross traffic clears and the presence of a vehicle is not detected for 4 seconds, the signal switches back to highway traffic flow. If you don't push the button, the signal change won't take place unless cross traffic activates it, so make sure you press it to allow for a safe highway crossing.




SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY:  The Negaunee Police Department maintains a registry of convicted sex offenders living in the city.  If you wish to view this registry, you may come to the police department.  If you wish to view the complete registry of convicted sex offenders for the County of Marquette, you can do so at the Marquette County Sheriff Department.  You may also access the Sex Offender Registry for the State of Michigan at

Related Free-Use Website

There is a free Internet resource for locating sex offenders in your neighborhood.  Visit the Family Watchdog* site, enter your address information and a map will be generated to show you where sex offenders reside in your area.  You can view offender names, addresses and in many cases a photograph.  This map also has a key to indicate the type of crime each offender has been been convicted of (i.e. rape, crimes against children or other/lesser offenses).





OFFENDER CUSTODY STATUS AND COURT EVENTS:  Crime victims can access information concerning the custody status and court events for offenders by visiting the online VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) website, or you can call 1(800)770-7657 to make these inquires. For victims needing a TTY number, call 1(866)847-1298.




LEGAL AGE FOR MOPED/MOTORIZED SCOOTER OPERATION:  The Michigan Motor Vehicle Code specifies the legal age for a person to operate a moped on public streets/roads and highways to be 15 and older.  Those persons who do not have a valid Michigan driver's license must apply for a special restricted license and be able to demonstrate to the Secretary of State that he/she is competent to operate the vehicle safely.  A road test for the special restricted license is not necessary.

The motorcycle helmet laws in Michigan require persons under age 19 operating a moped/motorized scooter on a public thoroughfare to wear a crash helmet approved by the State of Michigan.

Call the Secretary of State 226-7556 (Marquette) for further information on the operation of mopeds/motorized scooters.




EMERGENCY VEHICLE CAUTION LAW: The Michigan Emergency Vehicle Caution Law states:

ROADS WITH TWO OR MORE LANES OF TRAVEL IN THE SAME DIRECTION:  The operator of a vehicle traveling on a highway designed with two or more lanes of travel in the same direction shall, upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle with its emergency lights activated, carefully move into an open lane at least one lane away from the emergency vehicle.  If this is not possible due to traffic, weather, or road conditions, the operator shall slow down and pass with caution, allowing the emergency vehicle as much space as possible.

ROADS WITH ONE LANE OF TRAVEL FOR EACH DIRECTION:  The operator of a vehicle traveling on a roadway which only has one lane of travel for each direction shall, upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle with its emergency lights activated, carefully move over into the open adjacent lane if possible.  If this is not possible due to traffic, weather, or road conditions, the operator shall slow down and pass with caution, allowing the emergency vehicle as much space as possible.

A person found responsible for violating this law is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to enhanced penalties of up to 15 years in prison and/or a $7,500.00 fine if the violation causes injury or death to a police officer, firefighter, or other emergency response personnel.

  • Emergency vehicles are defined as: Police, Fire, Rescue, Ambulance and Road Service Vehicles.
  • Under a change in the law effective 06/02/2004, road service vehicles (including wreckers) are considered to be emergency vehicles for the purpose of this law only.
  • You do not have to move over in traffic for an emergency vehicle that does not have its emergency lights activated; however, you should always pass with caution and give the emergency vehicle as much room as possible.




JAIL/BOND INFORMATION FOR ARRESTED SUBJECTS:  The Negaunee Police Department does not have a jail facility and transports arrested subjects to the Marquette County Jail if they are unable to post the required bond.  To get information about the status of someone who has been lodged in jail, or to find out the amount of the bond for someone who has been arrested and lodged, call 225-8445.







This patch is the current emblem in use by the Negaunee Police Department.  Patches are not available at this time, but maybe become available in the future.

RETIRED 07/2007

This patch was used by the Negaunee Police Department for decades and was replaced in 2007.  It is available to the general public* without the requirement of a trade for display purposes only.  These patches are used (taken from uniforms) but most are in good general condition and are presented in an informational notecard.

Local Collectors: We ask that collectors within Marquette County stop by the department in person.

Outside Marquette County: Please email your request to Clerk Laura VanMarter. An email response will be sent notifying you of patch availability and what you must do to get one.



HUNTING WITHIN THE CITY: City Ordinance prohibits the discharge of firearms (defined as any rifle, pistol, shotgun, air gun, BB gun or any other firearm capable of projecting lead or any other object) within the City of Negaunee.  Hunting with firearms is not allowed; however, hunting with bow and arrow is acceptable provided it is done in non-residential areas, safety precautions are taken and common sense is used.

Hunter safety courses may be offered through the Marquette County Sheriff's Department.  Call 225-8435 for more information.




SAFETY COURSES: If you are interested in taking a safety course, i.e. hunter or boater safety, contact the Marquette County Sheriff's Department at 225-8435 for information.  Programming changes from year to year based on grant funding/availability.




LOST PETS: If you have lost a pet, you can help by notifying the following agencies:

  • Your Local Police - Contact the department where you live:
    • Negaunee PD: 475-4154
    • Ishpeming PD: 486-4416
    • Ishpeming Twp PD: 485-1888
    • Marq Co Sheriff: 225-8435
    • Chocolay Twp PD: 249-4040
    • Forsyth Twp PD: 346-9225
    • Central Dispatch: 475-9912
  • U-Paws (formerly the Humane Society): 475-6661
  • Northern Veterinary Associates: 485-6145

You can also post a notice through local radio station WMQT by visiting their website at:



MEDICATION DROP-BOX:The Negaunee Police Department has a drop-off box for old medications that you no longer want in your home. Please note we can only accept medications in pill form - no patches, no syringes or other sharps and no liquids of any kind. The drop-box is located in the outer lobby of the police department near the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the library. Drop your pills off during regular business hours (Monday through Friday between 9am and 4pm), or any time an officer is at the station.